- found this after the fact of course. I'm linking for my possible/probably next fail tomorrow.
Okay, my arms are fucking tired! Hopefully things will turn out better this time around, even though the dough is a lot more sticky than the link shows. I didn't want to keep adding a ton of flour, because the last thing I want is to chip any more teeth!
- I poured myself a tumbler of Capt. Morgan and Coke with ice and put on an apron. (I normally shun such Suzie Housemaker attire, but damnit, flour is messy. This one is black too with white vertical pinstripes, so at least it's modernized, somewhat slimming and definitely not foux-foux. LOL!)
- I proofed a 1/4 teaspoon of yeast with some sugar water (about 1/4 cup water gauged by the wrist test
and a teaspoon of sugar). Rest of packet was sealed up in a baggie and tossed in the fridge.
- I added an extra cup of sugar and about a teaspoon of salt, then my gut told me to sprinkle on a little more yeast. Hopefully I didn't screw things up too badly.
- I then added about 4 cups of flour with another 1-1/2 cups water and started stirring things together.
- I then attempted to mock what a stand mixer would do with my bare hands for a good twenty minutes, adding a little water at a time like my uncle used to do. I'm now thinking I should have taken the opportunity to toss in some butter like he did (in the monster stand mixer of course!).
- I forgot to tie my hair back, so I hope none of my long strands found their way in. Meh, I guess I'll find out tomorrow. :P~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Things were still incredibly sticky (next time I'll oil my hands), so I hollered for Ryan to first scratch my forehead (ha!) and then had him sprinkle flour into the bowl to try to loosen things up. It helped! (Total additional flour 1-1/2 cups.)
- After I couldn't do one more twist and pull, and thankfully just when the stretch seemed about right, I collapsed. (No, just kidding!) I hollered for Ryan to turn on the water to wash off the remaining sticky dough.
- I then covered up the bowl with the dough (and some lingering flour) in some plastic wrap and tossed it on top of the stove. It's pretty warm there. (I moved it to the furnace closet an hour later, as it dawned on me it's the warmest, darkest, driest spot in the apartment. I'm now guessing that was a smart move!)
Tomorrow morning, I'll go for another round of kneading before baking, seeing how bad I screwed up. To be continued...
ETA: Three hours later, and it's risen three times its original size! Looks like I did it right this time (so far). I'm tempted to start the second kneading now, but no... let's see how much bigger it'll get! ;)
(I'm also saving this link
as future reference as well.)
Further ETA: I probably could have begun the second rise last night, as it hadn't risen much higher since. Meh, no matter. Note for next time.
- I put on the apron, then floured the board well. I even remembered to tie my hair back this time! ;)
- I removed sticky dough from bowl, which I really should have liberally sprayed with cooking spray. No big deal; I got almost all of it out.
- I punched the dough on the board for about five minutes, taking up a good deal of flour into it, making it more like my uncle's (and what everyone seems to explain/display).
- I formed it into a somewhat flattened ball and transferred it onto a well-sprayed cookie sheet, the covered it with a well-sprayed bowl to act as the dome for the second rise.
- I then moved the cookie sheet into the furnace closet. I'll check on it in a couple hours, as it should be ready for the oven at that time, judging by how long the original rise took in there. To be continued once again...
Another ETA: Okay, I'm back, two hours later. It expanded a great deal, and boy am I glad I used the big cookie sheet and sprayed it, and the bowl, down well! I guess I really do need to go with my gut on this kind of stuff! ;)
- I kicked on the oven to 350F. (Afterthought: many recipes call for 450F. Hmmm...)
- I removed the bowl and used the big bread knife to slit it three times.
- I popped it in the oven, and now I just need to wait for it to bake. To be continued once again...
Further ETA: It's done, and wow does it look picture-perfect! I just hope after it cools a bit it's light and crusty and not dense and chip-your-tooth crusty! ;)
- I checked on it 20 minutes into baking and slathered some butter where I cut the slits. I also slathered a bit elsewhere to help with browning.
- Another 15 minutes later, it looked done.
- I pulled it out of the oven, flipped it over and gave it the thump test
. Yup, it's done the best I can tell.
- I then moved it to a plate from the cupboard to help it cool off a bit, but damnit if I don't want a slice now
! I'll return in 10 minutes with the verdict. To be continued...
Final ETA: YAY! It's good! It's pretty! And, I even took a pic!